Saturday, January 15, 2011

Creativity by Lara Taylor *Guest Blogger*

I had my guest blog post all written up about how to put together your own rice bucket for Creativity Month for Hayley. Then I thought, “Not only is this simple and anyone can do it, I mean really, how creative is this??” I am a writer and an artist and thought that to be a poor example of my creative prowess! LOL. And then I got to thinking: What do moms really need to expend their creative energy on? I say, maybe we need to get creative with our time this month. Maybe one of our resolutions should be to be more creative with our time and give a little more to ourselves.

One thing I’ve been doing is watching less TV. I got my priorities in order. I wanted to spend more time with my kids and more time writing. In order to do that, I started avoiding the TV like the plague during the day. No more Today Show in the mornings or I’d leave it on until lunch. No more stopping everything to watch Oprah at 4pm because that would lead to Gilmore Girls at 5pm and that would be all she wrote! So, I DVR and I keep the TV off. And when I feel like I’m getting restless or bored I turn to what I have deemed my priorities: kids and writing. I see if one of the kids wants to play something or I go in and sit down and WRITE.

So here is my creative suggestion for January: expend your creative energies on yourself for a change. Have a hobby that has fallen by the wayside? Want to read more? Spend more time with your kids/hubby/sister/girlfriends? Start getting rid of the unnecessary, the time-suckers, and re-claim some time for yourself wherever you can! Get up half an hour earlier, put the kids to bed fifteen minutes earlier, institute quiet time in the afternoons for your four or five year old who has outgrown nap time, but work out a way to be creative for yourself for a change! And Happy New Year!

Visit Lara at Today's Mama and La La Land

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I LOVE comments! :)

CanvasChamp

I am in love with CanvasChamp an easy-to-use platform for personalized décor and gifting. With fast shipping times, affordable prices, and ...